search
calendar Monday, August 17, 2026

Mae’s School accused of illegal construction at Farnum Ground, Council to decide future

September 10, 2025
< 1Min Read
A photo of the Mae's School before the fire which caused the school to utilise tents at the ground.

The Georgetown Mayor and City Council will meet on Monday to decide the future of Mae’s School after mounting complaints that the institution is flouting the law by erecting what appear to be permanent structures on Farnum Ground without permission.

The school was only granted one year’s temporary approval, from March 2025 to March 2026, to operate on the public playing field after a fire destroyed sections of its Subryanville campus earlier this year.

But residents have accused the school of overstepping the council’s conditions by moving ahead with construction, even though Mayor Alfred Mentore said only non-permanent facilities were authorised.

“When the appeal was first made, I advised them to look for another interim solution,” Mentore said. “But recognising the urgent needs of the students, I took personal initiative, backed by the council.”

Despite this leeway, the mayor admitted the school has not returned to the council for approval before undertaking upgrades.

The March 5 blaze, caused by an electrical fault, destroyed the school’s primary and secondary wings and disrupted the education of some 1,100 students.

Nearby residents have complained about the creeping encroachment and the erosion of public space.

Advertisement
_____